PTO Meeting Minutes

PTO Monthly Meeting Minutes

PTO Meeting Minutes

May 7, 2019

Minutes from last meeting approved

Budget

  • Megan and Jon are going to reformat the budget to make it more user-friendly first in Excel and then Google Docs
  • CAS has spent $17K and we have a budget of $21.5K
    • Do have checks outstanding now and Megan needs to true up the budget line item
    • Ruby Bridges has been partially paid
  • Auction numbers in the budget are not accurate right now so the budget needs to be adjusted and that line item will be fixed
  • Equity cap could impact future CAS speakers if they are in higher range
    • May change the way CAS speakers bill schools so it can be fair for all (Stacy Moriarty is the city’s designate to figure that out)
  • Teacher discretionary fund: Megan gave Rose $1500 earlier this year to cover Mark’s fund
  • Newton Serves didn’t ask for any money for donuts or mulch; will see if Ashley has receipts

2019 Calendar

  • Consider pulling basketball off for the year (injuries and scheduling issues)
  • Jacqueline not pulling permit but Jon may find another activity to replace it
  • FFL
  • Luncheon
  • Graduation
  • Year-end picnic (6/18)

Talent Show Recap

  • Went well; $2100 was the net revenue
  • Did reimburse the teachers that paid at the door
  • Melissa has some tweaks for next year

Carr Move Update

  • Packing days; Mark hasn’t asked for more days but we need to see if the teachers want help
  • We need to put the boxes some place else if they are not needed
  • Cradles to Crayons wants us to move the stuff piece by piece but Sarah will manage the moving of the boxes from HM to C2C through Avalon’s philanthropic group
  • More than Words and thrift stores will take VHS tapes if teachers want to donate them

Website Update

  • MM will get credentials from Adam to start editing the website if possible

METCO Donation

  • They request a donation to their scholarship fund
  • We ask Mark if he wants anyone to go and buy a table; if no, we just make a donation
  • Jon is proposing that we could make a larger donation of $500 (vs. $250) since we do have excess cash right now…we will ask Mark

Graduation

  • PTO board is unsure of our role and responsibilities
  • Adam needs to update the calendar on the website and link it to Mark’s calendar so it is up to date
  • Committees handle everything from flowers to volunteers
  • Jon tried to talk to Rose and Mike Feldstein about budget but is awaiting information…should bring it up to Mark on Friday
  • Need to ask Mark about no longer tying the graduation to the last day of school
  • Mark does not want it outside because the custodian does not want that
  • Jon would like to ask Mark again

Luncheon

  • Jess is managing the Teacher Appreciation food for the entire week (solid donations coming in)
  • Not doing a full luncheon as the gym will be taken
  • We can get food for the teachers even if it’s take-away…need a date from Mark

FFL

  • Using water bottles again this year and we need to get the bottles earlier from Joanna Mantell
  • All bottles need to be washed first
  • Gaga ball pit is rented
  • Truck is secured

Gaga Pit

  • Landscaper, carpenter and city are meeting tomorrow
  • Foundation is being donated by local landscaping company
  • Jon can take a picture of them putting the foundation down and we can do some kind of announcement and thanks
  • Permit is not an issue
  • Suspect that the gaga pit may be donated by Christa Delcamp

Spirit Wear

  • John Paul got the order for 105 items and we’re all set
  • We usually lose money on Spirit Wear but it is still very low cost
  • Still need to pay $1500 to John Paul

End of Year Picnic

  • Scheduled for 6/17 at 5:30 PM

Board Elections

  • Truly don’t need any additional board members, but we do need more committee members
  • Bylaws say we have to have elections but typically no one is running

Committee Check-in

  • PTO board members must check in with all of the committee members and check back for next meeting
  • 4th and 5th grade Understanding our Differences and FFL are what we need people for…those are the priority
  • We also could use 2nd and 3rd grade parents for UOD so they can grow with the program

2019-20 Calendar

  • Need to submit the calendar with dates to Mark
  • MM to update the current calendar files with 2019-2020 dates and get to Jacqueline for Mark’s review
  • Sending a survey out re: PTO events and will see what the responses look like
  • Can send survey feedback to Jacqueline if we have any
  • Bingo in May is better…Friday before Teacher Appreciation Week works best…MM to move on the calendar
  • Could swap the C2C events and the Food Drive so the kids are exposed to the needs a bit more…MM will swap the two events on the calendar after Sarah M. sends the dates over
  • Need to get Talent Show and Auction dates from Adam…have discussed doing the auction and the Mystery Dinner…decided to leave it where it is; Jess would prefer the 3/21 date
  • Move Spirit Wear to after the Book Fair…move to after the last week of October
  • Mark will provide the ed night dates

Fundraising Changes

  • Mixed bags, coffee cakes, etc.; should we continue doing it all?
    • Mixed bags still works for a minimal lift
  • Could do door prizes at the Talent Show
  • Book Fair was the same
  • Auction was the same

February 5, 2019

Attendees: Megan, Jacqueline, Sarah, Jessica, Melissa

Minutes Approved

Budget Update

  • Money keeps coming in: $2800 from GCS for example…keep making money on school pictures as well
  • For Science Night we actually spent $200 for pizza (we paid for METCO kids and teachers, families, etc.)
  • Second order of K-cups went through…we ordered for 50 people and that seems like the right number
  • Social Committee was budgeted at $500 but we made a few dollars there as well
    • Maybe another bingo night? Let’s move basketball from 6/7 and change to bingo; will wait until we’re closer to the date.
    • Just a casual night out? PTO could buy food to help.

Carr Move

  • Possibility that move could be delayed by construction…move could be delayed to December, 2019 break instead
  • Architecture plans are back and Mark is getting positive responses
  • Overall student size is diminishing which is great

Science Night

  • Solid night overall
  • Online pizza ordering was good
  • MM to ask Kari if they used the paper goods from PTO closet and if they have any receipts

Mystery Dinner Wrap Up

  • Maybe change the format?
  • Group texts to the hosts for time checks to get people on their way to dessert
  •  PTO is open to any format so we should let the committee be creative
  • Shouldn’t be making money and yet we still do…let’s drop the price next year
  • Sarah communicating thank you, dessert reminders, budget and costs, open on format, receipts to committee chairs

Auction Planning

  • Jess said planning is going well and there are enthusiastic volunteers involved
  • Discounted tickets for volunteers to attend the auction? Sounds like a good idea…approved.
  • Roaring 20’s speakeasy theme

Talent Show Planning

  • May need to spend some more money this year on items that Melissa will talk to Adam about
    • Could show start a little earlier; thoughts on music files, tables, TV in holding area? Kids for video and photos?
  • Sarah to help Melissa with coordinating behind the scenes

GCS

  • Chair got FT job and needs to step down
  • We need a new chair; there is a new person from Lincoln-Elliot that is interested
    • We would need to relinquish control if LE took over and so we’ll make less money than usual
    • Need a young family to take over
  • Kristy Moore can talk it up well so we need to spread the word as much as possible

Understanding our Differences

  • Meg Gallucci will continue for 5th grade
  • Sharon Russo is leaving
  • Need incoming 3rd grade parent to come in and take over
  • We need 3 committed people in total; need recruiting
  • 3rd grade is 3 programs; 4th and 5th are 2 programs each
  • Volunteer needs 3 hours of training once and they secure the speakers, etc.
  • Jacqueline is sending out a volunteer-specific email to everyone re: GCS, UOD and Talent Show help

Carr Move Meeting on 2/6/19

  • Mark has not notified us of needs
  • Doesn’t seem like there are a lot of concerns